Commerce Preliminarily Finds Unfair Dumping of Certain Polyester Staple Fiber from the People’s Republic of China
- On December 18, 2006, the Commerce Department announced its affirmative preliminary determination in the antidumping duty investigation of Certain Polyester Staple Fiber from the People’s Republic of China.
- Commerce determined that Chinese producers/exporters have sold polyester staple fiber in the United States at 4.39 to 44.30 percent less than normal value. As a result of this preliminary determination, Commerce will instruct U.S. Customs and Border Protection to suspend liquidation of entries of subject merchandise and to collect a cash deposit or bond based on the preliminary rates.
- Dak Americas LLC, Nan Ya Plastics Corporation America, and Wellman, Inc., are the petitioners in the investigation.
- The merchandise subject to this proceeding is synthetic staple fibers, not carded, combed or otherwise processed for spinning, of polyesters measuring 3.3 decitex (3 denier, inclusive) or more in diameter. This merchandise is cut to lengths varying from one inch (25 mm) to five inches (127 mm). The subject merchandise may be coated, usually with silicon or other finish, or not coated. PSF is generally used as stuffing in sleeping bags, mattresses, ski jackets, comforters, cushions, pillows, and furniture. The products under investigation are currently classifiable under the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS) subheadings 5503.20.0045 and 5503.20.0065.
- From 2004 to 2005, imports of polyester staple fiber from China increased by 63% by volume and were valued at an estimated $93 million in 2005.
- If the Department makes a final determination that imports were sold below fair value in this investigation, and the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) makes a final affirmative determination that imports from China materially injure, or threaten material injury to, the domestic industry, Commerce will issue an antidumping duty order and instruct U.S. Customs and Border Protection to collect cash deposits on imports of subject merchandise.
EVENT DATE Petition Filed June 23, 2006 Initiation of Investigation July 13, 2006 DOC Preliminary Determination December 15, 2006 DOC Final Determination* February 28, 2007 ITC Final Determination** April 14, 2007 Issuance of Order*** April 21, 2007
*Both the DOC and ITC final determinations may be extended under the governing statute
**Will occur if the DOC issues an affirmative final determination
** This will take place only in the event of final affirmative determinations by both the DOC and the ITC.
EXPORTER DUMPING MARGIN Cixi Jiangnan Chemical Co., Ltd. 15.30% Far Eastern Industries (Shanghai) Ltd. 10.45% Ningbo Dafa Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. 4.39% Separate-Rate Respondents (see attachment) 9.25% China-Wide Rate 44.30%
CHINA 2003 2004 2005 Volume (MT) 74,606 71,280 194,872 Value ($US) 26,827,000 29,708,000 93,260,000
Source: ITC Dataweb: HTSUS 5503.20.0045 and 5503.20.0065.
SEPARATE-RATE RESPONDENTS EXPORTER SUPPLIER PRELIMINARY DUMPING MARGIN Cixi Sansheng Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. Cixi Sansheng Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. 9.25% Cixi Santai Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. Cixi Santai Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. 9.25% Cixi Waysun Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. Cixi Waysun Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. 9.25% Hangzhou Best Chemical Fibre Co., Ltd. Hangzhou Best Chemical Fibre Co., Ltd. 9.25% Hangzhou Hanbang Chemical Fibre Co., Ltd. Hangzhou Hanbang Chemical Fibre Co., Ltd. 9.25% Hangzhou Huachuang Co., Ltd. Hangzhou Huachuang Co., Ltd. 9.25% Hangzhou Sanxin Paper Co., Ltd. Hangzhou Sanxin Paper Co., Ltd. 9.25% Hangzhou Taifu Textile Fiber Co., Ltd. Hangzhou Taifu Textile Fiber Co., Ltd. 9.25% Jiaxang Fuda Chemical Fibre Factory Jiaxang Fuda Chemical Fibre Factory 9.25% Nantong Luolai Chemical Fiber Co. Ltd. Nantong Luolai Chemical Fiber Co. Ltd. 9.25% Nanyang Textile Co., Ltd. Nanyang Textile Co., Ltd. 9.25% Suzhou PolyFiber Co., Ltd. Suzhou PolyFiber Co., Ltd. 9.25% Xiamen Xianglu Fiber Chemical Co. Xiamen Xianglu Fiber Chemical Co. 9.25% Zhaoqing Tifo New Fiber Co., Ltd. Zhaoqing Tifo New Fiber Co., Ltd. 9.25% Zhejiang Anshun Pettechs Fibre Co., Ltd. Zhejiang Anshun Pettechs Fibre Co., Ltd. 9.25% Zhejiang Waysun Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. Zhejiang Waysun Chemical Fiber Co., Ltd. 9.25%